Sunday, January 15, 2012

What Sorry Means

My 6th grade teacher, Mrs. Hoffman, used to tell us to be careful when we say, "I'm sorry." She would tell us, "'I'm sorry' means 'I'm going to change.'" After all these years I realize just how important it is to be determined to change my behavior. It's not enough to just say the words "I'm sorry;" you have to be prepared to be changed.

The danger we all face is thinking we can change ourselves. We believe we can grin-and-bear-it or gut out change in our lives. Sometimes it even looks/feels like we're winning the battle. But if we could truly change our core sinfulness then there would be no need of Jesus.

The Bible says our hearts are wicked and deceitful in a far greater proportion than they are good. Only by giving up the battle to Christ Jesus and His power will true change come. When you make the mistake you must run to Jesus and ask His forgiveness, believing He grants it. And you must surrender yourself again to Him. You're telling Him, "I want my life to be different and I know only You can do the changing."

No comments: