Thursday, January 26, 2012

Spring Cleaning

Our garage is a mess. Sure, I can park my car in it. Yes, I do have moving boxes from three years ago still filling up the far corners of the space. Of course, I have my practice net up for hitting golf balls in winter weather.

The periphery of my garage is full of stuff which is only used seasonally or not at all. A tool bench (came with the rental) sits covered in a box of old books and toys waiting for their final donation destination. Our garbage cans encroach on the area my car is supposed to rest. The back wall is hidden behind stacks of Christmas decoration totes and old yard implements (which also came with the place). My wife's car squeezes in between my car, the lawnmower and four snow tires I have yet to have returned to my car. A dismal and depressing sight to be sure. I need someone disconnected from the memories of this stuff to come clean it out.

My car is, far and away, the most valuable and impressive thing in the entire garage. Yet the place it "lives" would suggest I care very little about it. (That, and the fact it needs a good vacuuming.)

Your heart is like my garage. Each heart has varying levels of clutter and junk encroaching on the open spot where Jesus Christ should be forever parked. We have cherished pasts, useless trinkets, stinking garbage cans full of refuse, old moving boxes and decaying self-help tools which failed to help us keep our lives in order. You need a spring cleaning.

Jesus is the most valuable and impressive thing you could ever display in your heart's garage. And, unlike my car, He will gladly begin the process of making more space for Himself. He will passionately discard the clutter, the cherish items, the useless trinkets, stinking garbage, and old, decaying self-serving tools you've clung to for much too long.

Call Jesus up and ask Him to be your cleaning crew. Tell Him to throw out everything you don't need. Ask Jesus to do the work. Philippians 2:13 says, "God works in you to will and to do for His good pleasure." God works in you. God works. God works in you. God works in YOU!

Stop waiting to clean out your own heart before asking for His help. Hire Jesus as your heart cleaning company. He'll even bring His own dumpster.

No comments: