Friday, January 27, 2012

Ulterior Motives

"...For the LORD does not see as man sees; for man looks at the outward appearance, but the LORD looks at the heart." -1 Samuel 16:7b

We wrestle with skepticism every day. Every relationship we hold carry varying levels of distrust and unsettling questions. Are people really who they say they are? Do our friends really care about us or are they working an angle for our affection, our contacts, our knowledge? Our church offers programs for the community and it always seems people believe we have another goal: baptisms. Everyone knows there is no free lunch, so why would someone talk to me unless they wanted something?

I believe we are wary of others' motives because we recognize selfish motive in ourselves from time to time. I heard on K-Love this afternoon a thought: People see what you do; God knows why you do it. God knows why I seek friendships with the people I do. God knows why I give tithe and offering and why I give the amount I give. God knows why I go, or don't go, to church. God knows why I say what I say and act the way I act with people. God knows my motives even when I don't realize them. God sees everything about me and understands the foundation of it all. I cannot hide from God.

That's heavy. God knows me better than I know myself. My thoughts are not secret. My heart is not shrouded in mystery. Even when I put on the brave, smiling face, God sees my terror-stricken, lonely, anxious heart. There is certainly comfort in His understanding.

Not only does He know me, He knows everyone I meet, greet, sweet and beat. He's looking out for me. He'll guard my heart, if I allow Him. He'll build strong, trust-filled relationships for me, if I allow Him. He'll place the walls of skepticism up at the right time, if I allow Him. He will keep me safe.

Our relationship with Christ is not supposed to be about gaining worldly wealth or even a heavenly home. It's about having a friend closer than a brother or sister. It's about having a relationship without skepticism, dishonesty, distrust or anxiety. It's a relationship free of ulterior motives.

No comments: