Friday, January 20, 2012

Breathing

Little comes more naturally than the simple (and yet, complex) act of inhaling and exhaling. Breathing is generally considered an involuntary action. We don't think about it. The oxygen and other life-sustaining gases are drawn into the lungs and out comes the carbon dioxide and other unnecessary gases. (Obviously I did very well in Anatomy and Physiology in high school with this technical description of breathing. [heavy sarcasm])

Jokes have been told of people who must be reminded to breathe by a recording. Some people need to be reminded to breathe in times of great stress or anxiety. (In my case I have to remind myself to breathe while lifting weights - a time of both great stress and anxiety.) But breathing is so natural to me I don't usually give it a second thought.

Does this mean I should never think about it? Does this mean breathing is not important? Or does my lack of thought on the matter make zero difference to the importance of breathing? Perhaps it has always been vitally important and especially in times of my greatest need of oxygen the thought of breathing held overwhelming position in my consciousness.

(You're probably thinking, "Get to the point, Aaron!")

Here's the point: if I fail to think of breathing it does not diminish the importance of breathing. Breathing is still central to my existence; whether I am conscious of it or not. Breathing does not care if I think about it. It will continue to be.

Jesus is the Sustainer of my breath. He has always been. He will always be. Whether I believe in Him or not does not diminish His importance or determine His existence. And just like breathing I often take for granted the depth and width of His presence in my life. Without Christ I would be dead - physically and spiritually.

Do not let Jesus be an involuntary reflex. Have Jesus be central to your thoughts all day, every day. Give Jesus the second, third and fourth thoughts He deserves and desperately desires.

No comments: