Sunday, January 1, 2012

The Question of Church

Why do we go to church? Do we go because we have to? Do we go because that's why we have always gone? Do we go to a certain church because our family does? Do we attend a certain denominational congregation because it's comfortable?

I have read recently about how the religious leaders during the days of Jesus had lost the point of their ceremonies and worship services. They intended to acquire the kingdom of heaven through ceremonies and traditional practices. Or they hoped to attain salvation by association with a synagogue or specific leaders.

How are we any different?

Sometimes I wonder just how effective "church" really is anymore. The building is nice to gather in, but there are so many arguments about maintaining, cleaning and paying the utilities for it. And heaven help us if we ever discuss a building project.

Then, of course, there is the services offered at the church building. Here again we find disagreement and contention about when the elements of "traditional" worship should take place. Who decided there was only one acceptable order of service and what elements were required for it to "count" as a church service? Once again, heaven help us if changes are talked about.

The most difficult aspect of church is the people. It's my sincere (tongue-in-cheek) belief that church would be way better without all the people. Can't church just be me sitting by myself? I'll preach myself a little sermon, take an offering for my own building (ala - rent/mortgage), sing a few songs, pray and on I go. Of course, this is the post modern version of church. This leads to zero theological arguments. No one will be mad about what was or wasn't served at potluck. I can only get mad at myself for stepping on my own proverbial toes with some misunderstood or misinterpreted comment I made about, and to, myself. I will never be voted out of church leadership because I am the only member of the board/nominating committee/pastoral team/search committee and, well, you get the point.

I do not believe a person will be saved because their name is on the right church's membership record. I do not believe a person will be saved because they returned their 10% tithe on exactly their gross income rounded up to the nearest thousandth. I do not believe a person will be saved because they refused to say the nasty things about the other church members directly to their faces but instead saved it for their little cliques or let it rot in their proverbial gut until their bitterness reaches a nearly incurable level. I do not believe church has been seen the way God meant for it to be seen.

There is a reason God told us not to forsake gathering together with like believers. (Hebrews 10:25) I believe it leads to a further perfection of our character. Navigating personal relationships, or the lack thereof, at church (or anywhere else) requires us to wrestle with our own shortcomings. Some of us decide to ignore our own and point out (or make up) shortcomings of others. It's less of a hassle to harass others than deal with our own withering souls.

God doesn't need the church in order to save people or tell the world about Himself. But He chooses to use the church to tell the world about salvation and gives them the church to edify and build them up. He intends for the church to encourage them and extend unfailing love. (Boy have we REALLY missed the mark on that for the most part!)

I could have written this far more eloquently and taken a much deeper look at the theology of church or the history of church, but ultimately it comes down to whether or not church is worth the effort. The way I understand Scripture right now I see God providing an entity which can, and eventually will, be the greatest blessing to common, normal, hurting people. There are days we will wonder why we stick around. There will be days we wish the Lord would give us the offer He gave Moses at Mount Sinai ("I will destroy the Israelites and start over with you, Moses.") But for now our best option is to pray like never before for the Holy Spirit to change hearts, beginning with your own.