Monday, January 23, 2012

First Flight Effect

"Ladies and gentlemen, please direct your attention to (insert name of your choice) at the front of the cabin as they demonstrate the safety features of this aircraft."

You probably remember vividly your first flight. I remember mine. Kansas City to Houston followed by Houston to Managua, Nicaragua for a mission trip my junior year of high school. (Awesome first flight, right?)

I played it cool whole time. Not sure if the anxiety and fear was well hidden by the ridiculous smile on my face. (My white knuckles on the first landing probably gave it away.) On the final flight home (my fourth flight every) I had figured out what to do and by now it's no big deal. But I will always remember the insecurity of the first flight.

Every week there is someone sitting in a church for the first time, or the first time in a long time, and I'll beat it feels a lot like a first flight. There is a certain dance performed similar to the airplane safety briefing. And most churches don't have a flight attendant or service card giving you the important details to avoid death (or at least utter humiliation and embarrassment).

Despite my fears and anxieties on my first flight, I made it through with the help of my kind seat mate. They encouraged me, walked me through the important things, and, most importantly, reassured me when the ride got bumpy. We need to practice being good seat mates at church. Seek out the newbies or returning folks and give them encouragement. Ask them to sit with you and help them know when to sit, stand, sing or pray. Show them where the hymn is found and where the Scripture reading is "hiding" in Habbakuk or Hezekiah. Ease their anxieties with a smile and comfort them when the turbulence of church happens. Reassure them they don't have to pretend to be perfect even if everyone else is trying their best to pretend. Be a true friend. By a church flight attendant and soften someone's first flight.

1 comment:

Big Rich said...

I was on that flight!